Friday 25 March 2016

Spreeeee

Spent the bank holiday morning spending my $250 gift code on threadless before I go to work for 8 hours.
I get paid time and a half though so its okaaaayyy.
AND I recently discovered I can blog at work so wahoo

Anyway threadless.
To be honest I was not overwhelmed by their catalogue.
A lot of it is the side of illustration I hate.
The lazy word play puns, the pop cultural multilayered references, and more recently memes, which is the most unforgivable.

After a lot of trawling, and arranging the results to least popular first (people don't know whats good) I assembled a reasonable collection of shirt designs to clad myself in.
Four of these were Will Bryant, one of very few worthwhile artists on there.
That led me to his website, his work is great its so loud and obnoxious in a friendly way

I picked these shirts


Will bryant one, it's pretty basic shirt design wise but hes a nifty looking guy evoking 70s summer vibes.Does he get mustard on his glasses

Also Will Bryant, I like this one because of its awkward composition and general weirdness




















This one, also will bryant, is called banana wobbler. Isnt that great.
Those tiptoes, great direction and centre of gravity consideration

They were all the Will bryant shirts available so then i had to venture into the abyss of other creators.
Found some reasonable designs though.














This is great. That aesthetic of weird Toyko sinage. I like it.
Also how silly is that mouth and those running legs
Great running legs and inaccurate knee bend
I like that he doesnt have arms
Makes him more bumbley and it more of a humorous idea that he'd be participating in a run.




















This is just great for obvious reasons.
Love that B movie poster style.




















This one's a nice 40's/50's style space obsession type thing. I love that space race 50's futuristic aesthetic. Great helmet.




















This ones nice and simple but pretty effective in the sublimation printed format.
Works very well as one colour, no fuss or distraction from the point, that being just the ripple of the stripes, slight surrealism in a very wearable way, warping of assumptions and that.




















This is a strange one, it's unlike everything else on the whole website. Just watercolour stripes across a whole shirt. Even the paper texture showing through. It doesn't strike me as a threadless shirt design but it's a great take on the way oversaturated market of striped shirts, as is the previous design. Those colours are great too, not ones I would've thought to put together, its like a muted rusted rainbow. Very interesting shirt design angle.

And all of those cost me
NOTHINGGGGG!!
competitions do pay.

On the front of actual payment through sales, I've sold one so far
This is hardly surprising as I really don't think my design works well on the shirt.
Oh well

No comments:

Post a Comment