Thursday 10 March 2016

Anorak Briefing

I've been an admirer of Anoraks output for a while now so I was pretty psyched that Cathy Olmedillas was coming in to chat.

She talked about the history of Anorak.
It was interesting that despite all the 'expert' advice to not do anorak because the market's over-saturated and there needs to be a gender divide to engage children, she went for it anyway and was right. 
Although it sounds like the people telling her not to were terrible corporate aliens.
But it was good to hear a success story from trusting ones own judgement.

I also liked when she discussed the financing of the magazine, saying initially it was self funded and then they used integrated advertising and that now they make money through the house of anorak (? i think it was called? or something like that), particularly that part, it seemed like a good idea to fund the project by doing work for other clients under the successful name of the project.

Aesthetically I definitely think they have a specific prefernce for the work they use, perhaps this comes form there being a team of contributers working together which makes a sort of house style. I'm not sure if my work would fit into this, mostly because I dont currently seem to have a very clear visual 'style', so as much as I'd like to work for Anorak I'm not sure I would be able to. It's always worth a shot though, I'll contact them with some work, y'never know.

I'm somewhat intruiged by the illustration workshop festival thing at Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It sounds like something I'd like to be a part of, but at the same time I'm not the biggest fan of children, or running workshops, so maybe not. Maybe I'd rather just go to it instead. I have no idea what workshop I'd propose either. What do kids enjoy doing that wouldn't piss off their parents. Who knows.

Lets enjoy some pictutres now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment